About Me

My photo
PB'S Six foot track - 4:09 March 08 3000m 9:50 - October 09 5000m 17:25 10k 36:03 - may 2009 1/2 marathon 79:56 marathon 2:54:56

Sunday, June 07, 2009

1/2 marathon

Woke up just before the alarm was set at 4:59am. Was feeling sorta normal again. Still not right & still feel weak but much better than yesterday. Had some toast & coffee & just bummed around until the Marathon runners took off. It was pretty cool temp wise so just tried to keep warm. Did about 2k all up as a warmup but still felt shit.
The race got started at 7:30am. I just went easy/moderate at the start & by the 2k mark was already sweating. (not a good sign!) I managed to get myself to 6th place by the 5k mark & held that for the entire race. I kinda went off into my own world & drifted off into no mans land from 5k until about 10k. I then saw Matt flying back in 1st place & snapped out of it. Don't really remember much in that part. Got to the turn around at 1/2 way & just kept the steady pace I was running. I had no idea what time I was doing. Got back to Sth west rocks shops with about 5.5km to go & I could hear Mick right behind me. Thought I've held this 6th place for this long I'm not going to drop back. By now the Virus I've had all week was catching up to me. I put on the pace a bit & didn't look back. Got to the hill with 1k to go & thought he might still be right behind me but had no idea.
Anyway Finished 6th overall in about 82.20 or 30ish. Don't know my time yet.
After the race I went for warmdown jogging slow back into town then ran back along the beach.
Reckon I got about 31k or 32k done today.
A few beers later & felt much better!
Met John & his wife out at the country club for all you can eat dinner.
Great night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad I kept you honest at the end.

I had you in sight all race, but probably 200m behind by 5km. I seemed to making a few metres on you everytime we got to a small rise on the way back, so made a bit of an effort as we came into town. Guess I got within 5 metres and close enough for you to hear my heavy breathing. I paid the price and got a bit of a small stitch and had to back off, but I think you also took off. I had you in sight as we passed the 10km tail enders.

Really great run for me. Maybe I will try and hang onto you again at Bay2Bay.

Mick

bear said...

you should be able to hang on to me in the bay to bay. I'm racing the State cross country 12k in Nowra the day before. It's at 3pm so will be running on tired legs. I still hope to do 44min/45min though.
Well done on Sunday!