About Me

My photo
PB'S Six foot track - 4:09 March 08 3000m 9:50 - October 09 5000m 17:25 10k 36:03 - may 2009 1/2 marathon 79:56 marathon 2:54:56

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Sat Lake Ginninderra Park run 5km and freezing bloody hands!!!

First time for me doing a park run and what a great run it is! The Canberra one is held on Lake Ginninderra in Belconnen. This lake use to be my home training ground and I have run many km's around the lake. It's where all my running began back in 1999.

The race started at 8am and all rugged up I went for a lap of the lake for a warm up around 7am. The lake is 7.1km and I did that around 33:30ish. It wasn't too cold at 6deg but the wind was really blowy which made it feel more like -2deg.
At 8am I lined up with 116 other runners braving the windy cold conditions. I wore Compression shorts,a running t-shirt and for some stupid reason I didn't think I'd need my gloves. (what a stupid mistake that was!)

After about 2min I started to feel the cold air hitting my lungs and by 2km I had to use my puffer twice. I thought I was running much faster than I was and by 3.5km my lungs were burning and I had snot and all sorts of shit all over my face! Pretty hey! I finished in 19:03 11th pace and 3rd in my age absolutely feeling like shit! I got my barcode scanned then I thought my hands feel a bit cold. The next thing I think my hand are freezing cold. Next thing I can't feel anything except intense pain in the fingers. I rushed to the car and in agony I sat there trying to get them warm on the heater. 10min it took before they came good. I thought I was going to get frostbite and they will have to cut my fingers off!

My calf/shin was great and in the race I couldn't feel it at all! However I could feel it as the day went on

Anyway 15min later the pain was gone and I was off for a 1km warmdown then coffee then a heap of massages then a 4hr30min drive to Newcastle to visit mum

No comments: