About Me

My photo
PB'S Six foot track - 4:09 March 08 3000m 9:50 - October 09 5000m 17:25 10k 36:03 - may 2009 1/2 marathon 79:56 marathon 2:54:56

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Injuries come and go and that's the runners life!

I managed to do my planned run of 21.4km in 1hr38min so a nice pace. Ran from Bensville to Davistown and back. Shin was again causing discomfort at the start but quite manageable but felt quite sore on some of the downhills then it would feel ok again.
I've decided enough's enough and it's time to give in to this injury and REST!
The frustrating thing was it got quite achy as the day went on and was more painful on certain movments than normal. I'm pretty certain it's soft tissue not a stress fracture as the tibia bone has no pain on touching and even though it's hard to feel the fibula through the calf muscles what I can touch is all pain free. The only bit where I can tell that's causing this problem is the soleus up near the knee and my peroneus longus around the same area. It's not too bad to massage, slightly painful on the foam roller but as soon as I land with my forefoot to the ground that's when I get the pain.

I don't really mind having a break from running when an injury strikes as I'm not a fan of running with pain. It's not enjoyable one bit. The annoying thing is having to stop when a race you had planned to do is not too far away.

With me I was planning on doing a sub 3hr at Hunter Valley marathon in 2 weeks but it's not looking too good of even making the start line. I have the M7 marathon the following week so I may have a chance for that one it just maybe over 3hrs. Other than that I've got nothing planned until October when I want to do the 24hr race in Auckland then in Nov GNW100 then in December Coast to Kosi.

So if I miss out on Hunter Valley or the M7 it's not really a big deal as they were something I decided to do not that long ago. The main focus is getting to the start line in October, November and December



No comments: