About Me

My photo
PB'S Six foot track - 4:09 March 08 3000m 9:50 - October 09 5000m 17:25 10k 36:03 - may 2009 1/2 marathon 79:56 marathon 2:54:56

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The 50k!

Couldn't sleep. I woke up at 2am & that was it. I just couldn't get back to sleep. Just lying in bed until 4am then got up showered & had some cornflakes...(my new pre race b'fast!)some coffee, some powerade & got to the start just after 6am.
Wow tough race! I've never raced this far before so I wasn't sure what to expect.
For the first 13k I did some fartlex running doing the first k hard then the next k easy. I did that until the 13th k then just tried to keep a steady pace.
I went through 10k in 40:30, 1/2 marathon in 1:28:xx, 30k in around 2:08, the marathon in 3:10:57 & finished in 3:50:59.
Was really slowing down from 30k but held the same pace until the marathon. I thenm picked it up until the 45k then I thought I was going to hit the wall big time! I lost all my energy, was really hurting & still had 5k to go. I had a drink of Lemonade & a gel at 45k then plodded along until the turn around just after 46k. They had some Jelly babies there. I grabed a bunch of them & all of a sudden the sugar from the lemonade, gels & jelly babies kicked in! I went from a 5:50min per k slog to 4:15 pace! I knew I was on the home stretch.
48k came & I said to my self only 2k to go....let the crowed bring me home. I wasn't going for a time at this stage, just wanted to finish strong!. 49k went pass....this is it 1k & I'm done! Went as hard as I could at the end & just lie there while the guy took the chip off my shoe.

Great weekend...all over now! Not a bad result for someone who only had 2weeks training for it.
Gotta get ready to go 2:50 at Gold Coast next!

1 comment:

plu said...

Great run at Canberra especially since how you have been managing your injury from six foot.

cheers PLu