About Me

My photo
PB'S Six foot track - 4:09 March 08 3000m 9:50 - October 09 5000m 17:25 10k 36:03 - may 2009 1/2 marathon 79:56 marathon 2:54:56

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Ouch!!!...crashed & hit the wall!

Boy o boy....that was the toughest road marathon I've ever done!
Was up at the stupid hour of 3:30am to have b'fast then a walk with all the other runners to the ferry. Got on the ferry around 5ish then just relaxed over the other side untill about 5:50am then started moving & stetching.
Got up the front & just after 6:30 the hooter went off. From the first k this race had hills. Mabye my body doesn't like the hills at the start. Still thought I was doing ok untill the harbour bridge. (how tough was that bridge hill!)
The long run out to the turn around was pretty flat but MAN it was hard. I really felt it in the last 7k. My ks were starting to be in well over 5min from 35k onwards.
Was hoping to do sub 2:55 but way off with a 3:12:17. I had nothing left in me at the end.

After crashing out on the grass in victoria park for about 45min I got up then BANG! I spewed my guts up. Then thought I better so we were going to walk back.....then off I go again. We got a cab back. I thought I was going to spew in the cab. I had the window down & my head out the window! I just couldn't walk the 1km back!
After a 4hr sleep I started finally coming good. Managed to keep down a banana & some water just after 3:30...that's 12hrs after my last bite of food! Then was getting really hungry!! I've never had such a bad reaction from a marathon before!

After a great sleep we went to sky tower which was cool.

So what does all this this mean?...well the Auckland marathon defeted me. It got me & beat me. So that means I'm going to have to come back next year & kick it's ass!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bear,

Not the pb you wanted but still a solid run and another marathon completed.Enjoy the rest of the holiday.
Terrigal Trotter.