About Me

My photo
PB'S Six foot track - 4:09 March 08 3000m 9:50 - October 09 5000m 17:25 10k 36:03 - may 2009 1/2 marathon 79:56 marathon 2:54:56

Monday, January 02, 2012

Around the Bay

4am and the alarm goes off......a yawn and a stretch and I somehow drag my body out of bed. Actually quite surprised how good my legs feel after yesterdays effort.
After some toast and coffee and a shower we make our way to Gosford. Got there about 4:50 so it's only 10min later and we are ready to run.
After a moments silence for the passing of Leon yesterday we are off

Straight away Mick takes off like a man on a mission followed by Ian, myself and Mark.It's only about 2min of running and it was going to be Mick, Mark & Ian running happily at about 4min/km pace. I was happy to just settle back and run on how I felt. I didn't want to push it if I felt too sore or stuffed. By the Avoca dve intersection I could see the 3 of them go through in about 12:40 I went through about 40sec later in about 13:20.
That was the last I saw of Mick and Mark but could still spot Ian in the distance.

First drink stop (5.5k) in 23:40 and 20sec or so I thought I better move on.
The hills start just after this and 2 of them are a decent one.
Again I spotted Ian about 2min ahead. I got to the second drink stop 10km in 43min then it was a very dew/wet/foggy frost reserve to run across.

Back on Empire Bay drive just past the Kincumber tennis courts and one of the last main hills to get up. I could see Ian making his way up in the distance.

Next thing I know I see Graeme Ridley on his own at the 3rd drink stop (14.7k) just past the Bensville turn off. 1hr3min I've been going now. A lollie and a coke and I head off again.

And again in the far distance I see Ian head down to Empire Bay. He's creeping away from me now. Get to the 4th drink stop (18K)in 1hr19min and Mike Gero is there with some more drink, lollies etc.

Get moving again and still feel pretty good. The run to the 5th drink stop (22k) at Booker Bay/Blacwall was one of the best part of this run. I alawys enjoy that section. Get to the 5th drink stop in 1hr40min

The toughest part of the run now begins. Pretty much just flat concrete for the rest of the way. I get to WoyWoy at the start of the bay to bay course in 1hr55min (26km)and set a goal of going sub 2:50. About 1km ahead I again catch a glimpse of Ian and that's the last time I see him until the finish

6th drink stop (28.5km)and no idea what my time was at this one and I'm now getting tired and aches are kicking in. Not wanting to stop long so I don't turn into rigor mortis I head off after some more coke and water and some cordial stuff.

7th and final drink stop (32km)and reach it in 2hrs24min and think now only 5km to go!

The rest of the run went pretty smooth and just kept a nice pace to the end.

Finished the 37k in 2hrs47min
Mark did 2:28, Mick 2:31 and Ian in 2:42
Now I need to freshen up for Narrabeen on Sat

No comments: